Security agencies have arrested 41 suspected homosexuals in Bauchi State.
The suspected homosexuals were arrested during a joint operation by men of the Nigeria Police Force and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Bauchi State command.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Kamal Abubakar, disclosed that the police had charged 37 of the suspects to court.
He said, Although we gathered through intelligence reports that the suspects were homosexuals, we did not charge them to court as homosexuals or lesbians since we did not catch them in the act.
But we charged them for being public nuisance since they were arrested at a birthday party.
Bauchi State Commissioner for Religious Affairs, Alhaji Ado Zigau, said the suspected homosexuals were arrested based on intelligence reports.
He said, Intelligence reports revealed that some lesbians and homosexuals planned a gathering at the Federal Secretariat Conference Hall.
Security operatives were mobilised to the scene and they arrested quite a number of the suspects. Each security team arrested some suspects and took them to their office for interrogation.
The state command of the NSCDC paraded four of the suspects.
The Public Relations Officer of the corps, DSC Garkuwa Adamu, said, On September 1, 2018, intelligence information revealed that some group of youths suspected to be homosexuals were having a meeting at the Federal Secretariat and we swung into action and arrested four suspects.
The suspects are Abubakar Adamu, 18; Usman Abubakar, 20; Dalhatu Hassan, 19; and Mukhtar Mohammed, 20.
We recovered three Jincheng motorcycles, one Haojue ladies motorcycle, one generator, three birthday cakes, four GSM phones and other souvenirs during the operation, he said.
One of the suspects, Abubakar Adamu, denied being a gay.
We are not gay; we don’t have lesbians among us. I organised a birthday party and invited my friends. I sat with a female friend when I was arrested.
- ‘Heroes of the Force’ IGP commiserates with families of slain police officers
- Zamfara State Police capture 20 suspected bandits
- Lagos madwoman caught with human parts, corpses
- Abductors of Akoko-Edo local government APC chairman demand N20m ransom
- Adekunle Santos, Lagos Landlord arraigned for allegedly stealing, removing tenant’s door
- Army assures INEC of adequate security in Borno-Acting General Officer Commanding
- One chance robber jumps into lagoon as Rapid Response Squad, RRS arrest Oliseh, others
- Shopping complex inferno-Journalist, son killed in Lagos
- Oyo Police warn politicians – Don’t encourage your aides to carry prohibited firearms
I am a tailor and we followed due process and applied to use the Federal Secretariat Conference Hall, which they gave us.
After we finished the birthday, security operatives came in and arrested us. But we are not homosexuals and we don’t belong to any association.