The operatives of the Rapid Response Squad, RRS, in Lagos have arrested three one-chance robbers on the Third Mainland Bridge.
Following police chase, one of the suspects jumped into the Lagoon with the gang’s loot to escape.
The Rapid Response Squad,RRS said the robbers including, 27-year-old John Akinyemi; 37-year-old Paul Oliseh, and Amos Williams, were arrested on Monday afternoon on the Third Mainland bridge.
Rapid Response Squad,RRS said that its men monitoring the Iyana-Oworo axis of Lagos chased and arrested the suspects after a tip-off.
They chased the one-chance robbers operating from a Volkswagen transporter bus with registration number, AKD 562 XP to the bridge.
Police said the robbers abandoned their vehicle and were fleeing on foot when they were arrested.
One of the robbers, who was later identified as Junior, 19, was reportedly hit by speeding vehicles twice on the bridge before jumping off into the Lagoon
The leader of the gang, John Akinyemi, disclosed to the police that there are four of them.
I’m in charge of calling the team to work. It was our first trip for the day. We got four passengers in Estate Bus Stop in Alapere. They were going to Oshodi. We dispossessed them and dropped them off before Iyana-Oworo one after the other.
We took their phones and money. We have been doing this for more than three months. We sell the mobile phones and jewelry, and we share the money.
One of the victims, Semiu Oluwaseun, who alerted the Rapid Response Squad, RRS officers immediately he was thrown out of the speeding bus, said the robbers collected his phone and the sum of N500,000.
Another victim, Jamiu Ojuroye, who was robbed on Sunday, identified John Akinyemi, as the driver of the bus. He noted that he was robbed on Sunday night and that he was robbed of N150,000 before they threw him out of the speeding bus.
- Lagos madwoman caught with human parts, corpses
- Abductors of Akoko-Edo local government APC chairman demand N20m ransom
- Adekunle Santos, Lagos Landlord arraigned for allegedly stealing, removing tenant’s door
- Biafra Nations Youth League group tells Army to call off Operation Python Dance 3
- Security agencies arrested 41 suspected homosexuals in Bauchi
- Shopping complex inferno-Journalist, son killed in Lagos
- Oyo Police warn politicians – Don’t encourage your aides to carry prohibited firearms
- National Security Adviser (NSA): Security agencies warned against electoral fraud
Ojuroye added that after struggling with the robbers, they sprayed a peppery substance in his face, took his money before throwing him off around 8pm.
The robbers were paraded today by the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Imohimi Edgal, at the Command Headquarters.