The House of an Assistant Editor-in-Chief with the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, located along Oke-Ureje, in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State capital, has been gutted by fire.
The property worth over N2.5 million was destroyed in the fire incident caused by bush burning from an undeveloped plots of land besides the building.
The property affected include iron sheets, asbestos, ceiling planks, mattresses, bags of clothing materials, tables and chairs, rugs, carpets and curtains from window and doors.
Speaking on the fire incident, Mr. Yemi Idris, revealed that it was the youths who were around the area, who mobilized to save the situation. He said the youths worked alongside security agencies who prevented the whole building from been razed down during the fire incident.
According to him, as at the time of the fire incident, no member of the family was around, but information has it that the owner of the undeveloped plots had some people working and clearing the land.
The editor, appealed to government to make it mandatory for owners of undeveloped plot be held responsible for any negative actions that may arise in terms of fire or other crisis like this.
He further advised that government to also take over such undeveloped plots of land if the owners refuse to make use of it, and endangering the lives and property of members of the public.